Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Chicago Marathon Training Plan



Marathon Training has arrived again! AR and I are running our third marathon in Chicago on October 12, 2014. As usual, I am excited and concerned. We all know my real motivation to do this is the extra food I'll consume over the next four months.  Just kidding.
Honey Stinger products become a food group for me.
For out first two marathons, AR and I  used Hal Higdon's novice program. This program gets us up to a high of 37 miles/week, which is really all that our schedules can handle some times. It provides two rest days, four days of running, and a cross-training day.

The only concern is that it only reaches one 20 mile run and one 18 mile run. AR and I felt like we needed something more.


For the Atlanta Marathon, AR and I modified the plan to give us two 20 mile runs, which I think is important. We've also learned to add an addition 1-2 "flex" weeks in case disaster strikes (like the time I got diagnosed with pneumonia a month out...). This seemed to work much better.


This time, we are using Higdon's Intermediate 1 plan. This plan has running five days a week, with one day of cross training and one day of rest. The mileages gets up to 44 miles/week, which is a slight jump for us. We plan to build in one flex week, which we will use up within the first 12 training weeks.


Here is what is will look like:
WEEK MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT SUN # of Miles
1 Cross 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run Rest 5 m pace 8 24
2 Cross 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run Rest 5 m run 9 25
3 Cross 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run Rest 5 m pace 6 22
4 Cross 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run Rest 6 m pace 11 29
5 Cross 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run Rest 6 m run 12 30
6 Cross 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run Rest 6 m pace 9 27
7 Cross 4 m run 7 m run 4 m run Rest 7 m pace 14 36
8 Cross 4 m run 7 m run 4 m run Rest 7 m run 15 37
9 Cross 4 m run 5 m run 4 m run Rest Rest Half Marathon 26
10 Cross 4 m run 8 m run 4 m run Rest 8 m pace 17 41
11 Cross 5 m run 8 m run 5 m run Rest 8 m run 18 44
12 Cross 5 m run 5 m run 5 m run Rest 8 m pace 13 36
13 Cross 5 m run 8 m run 5 m run Rest 5 m pace 20 43
14 Cross 5 m run 5 m run 5 m run Rest 8 m run 12 35
15 Cross 5 m run 8 m run 5 m run Rest 5 m pace 20 43
16 Cross 5 m run 6 m run 5 m run Rest 4 m pace 12 32
17 Cross 4 m run 5 m run 4 m run Rest 3 m run 8 24
18 Cross 3 m run 4 m run Rest Rest 2 m run Marathon 35

Notice those double weekend runs? Yeah, that is a little daunting, but I think it will make us stronger. I like doing a pace on Saturday because it will take some of the pressure off Sunday. I am hoping that I can focus on the distance on Sunday and not become obsessed with the pace of those runs, especially because we will be training in July/August/September. 

We start our training on June 2, which is two weeks away. We are focusing on maintaining our base mileage right now and adjusting to the heat and humidity. I really can't say I am looking forward to all these runs in the ATL weather. I really hope that training in the hills, heat, and humidity of Atlanta will help us run stronger in flat, cool Chicago. 

This is how I feel the whole time I train. 
I've been doing lots of hill workouts the last few months and running the majority of my runs outside, which is a start. I feel like I am getting better with the weather, but I still plan on starting my long runs by 7am to avoid most of the sun. 

Chicago Marathon, HERE I COME!!

Hannah 

1 comment:

I love to hear from my readers! Please comment and include your blog so I can visit.