Monday, January 27, 2014

{Healthy} Baked Potato Soup + Weekend

I was going to do a weekend recap, but my weekend was non-existent. I really just studied. For example, I woke up and studied for a few hours before brunch, then studied until 8pm last night. This is my life.

The only thing keeping me together right now is the fact that I have Friends with Benefits on t.v. right now, and I like that movie (I have horrible tastes, I know).
 
Rather than tell you about my great study sessions, I wanted to share a recipe that is PERFECT for this cold weather. If you are like most of the United States, you are experiencing some serious cold weather, and soup is the perfect meal to end your day with!
 
 
 
This baked potato soup is lightened up from the recipes my mom and grandmother use. It would also be awesome topped with turkey bacon or green onions (AR eats his that way). I like thinks simple!
 
 
Baked Potato Soup
Served 4-5
 
Ingredients
3 large potatoes
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
2 T olive oil
1/3 c. flour
3 cups milk (2% or skim cow milk, or unsweetened/unflavored almond milk works well)
1 c. broth (vegetable or chicken)
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 c. reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
Optional: crumbled bacon, sliced green onions.
 
Directions
Cook potatoes: either bake at 400* for 1 hour or cook in microwave for 10-12 minutes. Let potatoes cool, then peal and mash slightly.
Heat olive oil and add onions. Cook until onions are soft and slightly brown, then add the flour. This will get lumpy, but don't worry! Slowly mix in the milk until blended. If you have lumps, do not worry. Mix with whisk and cook until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes.
Add the potatoes, broth, and salt and pepper. Cook until heated through and frothy, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and blend slightly with an immersion blender. (No immersion blender? Add part of the soup to the blender and puree).
Mix in 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese. Serve with remaining cheese and other toppings.
 
 
 
 
Enjoy!
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Please comment and include your blog so I can visit.