Thursday, October 2, 2014

Butternut Squash & Pumpkin Soup

Fall flavors are everywhere right now. My friend and I immediately texted each other the day Panera brought back their squash soup and I have already baked pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.

It is easy to focus on squash as a sweet food, but it can also be amazing as a savory option. I love spaghetti squash with marinara, baked acorn squash stuffed with couscous and beans, and butternut squash mac and cheese. Squash adds such a buttery creaminess to dishes, and packs a ton of nutrients.



On Monday evening I whipped up this butternut squash and pumpkin soup. It was a favorite of mine all last winter and I am loving it this week! I really love making a big pot of soup to enjoy all week in lunches or for a quick dinner. Last night I enjoyed it with a large piece of wheat toast and a sliced pair. It was a perfect combination.

For this soup, I combined roasted butternut squash with broth, celery, pumpkin puree, and seasonings.  I topped it off with a little almond milk for creaminess. Feel free to use whatever broth you have on hand and include an onion or even diced carrots!

Butternut Squash & Pumpkin Soup 

Ingredients
1 large or 2 small butternut squash, halved and seeded
1/2 cup of finely diced celery (or onion)
1 cup of pumpkin puree - canned or homemade
3 cups of vegetable broth
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 dash of cinnamon
1 tsp. of salt - plus more if your broth is low sodium
1/4 tsp. of black pepper
olive oil
1/2 c. of unsweetened almond milk

Directions
Heat over to 400*. Place seeded and halved squash on a baking sheet with cut side up. Brush squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake the squash until tender, about 30 minutes for small squash and 45 for a large squash.

Meanwhile, heat 1 T. of olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add celery/onion and sauté until tender. Scoop butternut squash into the saucepan and add the pumpkin, broth, and seasonings. Cook over medium heat until ingredients are all tender and flavors have combined, about 15 minutes.

Puree soup in blender, food processor, or with an immersion blender. Return to saucepan and check seasonings, adjusting as necessary. Stir in the almond milk until combined. Serve with pumpkin seeds, a scoop of yogurt, or croutons!

Enjoy!
Hannah 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Please comment and include your blog so I can visit.