Saturday, October 3, 2015

Getting Cozy In October {the easiest chili recipe}

This week just felt like fall. I don't know, something about the darker mornings makes me feel like fall has arrived.

Fall means some changes at my house. While I like my summer home to feel light and airy, I want my fall/winter home to feel cozy and crisp. I make a few small changes in my home as I prepare for the colder months. 

via

The Living Room. 
As soon as September arrives, I purchased new candles for fall. I love anything cinnamon-spice-apple-pumpkin. We leave a candle lit most evenings in our home, and I love the way it makes the house feel. I just purchased this one for our living room. If we can't have a cozy fireplace, I will make it smell like one!

Fireside Scented Candle

I am also adding in a basket of extra throws to the living room for the fall and winter. We move a lot of our date nights inside as the temperatures drop, and I love having a blanket to curl up with on the sofa. I also think a basket of throws just looks so inviting. 

Cashmere Throws
The Bedrooms. 

We have all heard that creating a special space for sleep is important - and AR and I have taken several steps to make this happen in our bedroom. We made the lighting a little darker, we removed clutter, and we added textures to the space. As the weather gets colder, I know we will head to bed earlier and I want that space to be cozy, warm, and comforting. 

Parachute Down Alternative Comforter
To prepare for fall, I am upping the weight of our comforter, and adding another throw to the bed. I love having a duvet cover for this reason - I take it to the dry cleaner each season and switch out the comforter depending on the weather. I also use a down alternative comforter because of all of A's allergies. 

For guest bedrooms, I add in extra throws, fuzzy socks and slippers, and a big sweatshirt. So often when people come over, they don't have something warm for their feet, so offering some extras is a sweet touch. I also like to provide extra blankets in case people get cold at night! 

For my closet (which is kind of like the bedroom!), I switch out my clothing. I love unpacking my sweater and jackets as I put away my summer clothes. I am obsessed with these vacuum seal space bags, which keep my clothes protected, and fit right under my bed. 

The Kitchen. 

Fall brings in a whole set of new recipes for me. I want hot soups and stews, with warm bread. I crave hot beverages, like tea and hot chocolate, along with sweet treats like muffins and cookies. I've been blogging about these pumpkin chocolate chip cookies for weeks now, and they are becoming a fall staple. I am also stocking up my my favorite hot chocolate mix and some teas.  

Tonight I have chili in the crockpot, which I whipped up in the morning before leaving. Chili was a classic fall recipe at my house, and I love switching up the ingredients. I always start by browning onion, garlic, bell pepper, and ground turkey. I add this to the crock pot with two cans of beans (black, ranchero, or kidney beans all work well), crushed tomatoes, and a little broth. For seasonings, I use lots of chili power and cumin because we like it hot :) We like it served with shredded cheese, sour cream, and brown rice!


What do you love to bake or cook in the fall? 
How to you prepare for the seasons?

x0x0, 
Hannah


~this post was inspired my Parachute, but I was not compensated for any of my opinions~

3 comments:

  1. I like cozying thigns up for fall too! I just got a whole basket of throw blankets out today and it made me so happy! That chili sounds yummy too, perfect for a cold fall day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that! Blankets are a must for the cold seasons :)

      Delete


  2. Hero Gayab Mode On is new indian darama on es tv which is very popular
    tv in india and neighboring countries like bangladesh siri lanka
    pakistan and nepal

    Watchonline Hero Gayab Mode on

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers! Please comment and include your blog so I can visit.