Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Eat Seasonal: Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup

I know, its spring and we should be eating salads, but something about rainy April weather makes me crave soup. So I took home all of these goodies at Saturday's Farmer's Market with plans to make a creamy soup.



First, I wrapped the sweet potato in foil and drizzled the carrots with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Then I put them all in the oven at 375* and let them hang out for a long time. This actually took longer than I anticipated - about 50 minutes overall.

After a short cooling break, I scooped the potato into the food processor, along with the carrots and some almond milk. After a few minutes, I added salt, pepper, and some spices. You can also continue adding water/milk as needed. I like my soup pretty thick.



I divide my soup up  into single-serving containers, let cool, and then put in the refrigerator for the week. That way, I have it all ready to pack in lunches. With the quantities I used, this recipe had only 70 calories per cup! Not bad for a think and creamy soup. Enjoy :)

Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup
Ingredients
1 large sweet potato                                           1/2 - 1 c. Milk (Almond, cow, or soy)
1 cup of roughly chopped carrots                          Ground nutmeg 
Olive Oil                                                            Ground cinnamon 
Salt & Pepper

Wrap potato in foil and drizzle carrots with olive oil. Place Potato and carrots on baking sheet and roast in the oven at 375 for about one hour. Stir carrots while roasting and check for softness as needed. The sweet potato and carrots should be very soft. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. (Can be done ahead and stored in refrigerator). 

Scoop potato out of peel and palce into the food processor or blender. Add the roasted carrots and about 1/2 cup of milk. Blend until vegetables have a nice puree, then add spices to taste. Continue blending and adding liquid until soup reaches desired consistency - I like mine pretty thick!. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Please comment and include your blog so I can visit.