Friday, June 28, 2013

Apple Oatmeal Scones

There are the most gorgeous apples in my refrigerator right now. They are just beautiful. I know, it is June and I should be gushing about watermelon and berries, but I just had my wisdom teeth removed and I am obsessing over the juicy crunch of an apple.

Thus, the scones.


I chopped apples, looked at them longingly, and then folded them into a healthy(ish) cinnamon scone dough. If you have some lonely apples in your refrigerator, give this a try this weekend. You won't regret it!



Apple Oatmeal Scones
makes 8
Ingredients
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/3 c oats
2/3 c. white flour
1/4 c. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 c. cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 medium apple, chopped with peel
1 t. vanilla
1/3 c. milk (whatever you have)
1/3 c. greek yogurt
Topping
sugar, oats, milk

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400*. Whisk the flours, oats, sugar, baking powder, soda, and spices. Using a pastry cutter (or two forks), cut in cold butter until well combined (this should create small pea sized clumps). Stir in apple chunks to cover with flour. In a measuring cup, mix milk, yogurt, and vanilla until well combined, then gently stir into flour mixture. Be careful not to over mix!
Dump dough out onto floured surface and shape into a round disk, about 1/2 -3/4 inch tall. Avoid kneading the dough, just press gently and let it be. Cut into 8 wedges, similar to cutting a pizza. Using a spatula, place scones onto a greased baking sheet 2 inches apart. Brush tops of scones with milk, sprinkle with oats and sugar.
unbaked scones
Bake scones at 400* for 15-17 minutes. Scones should be light brown around the edges when done. These are best eaten warm, topped with butter and served with tea. Enjoy!

x0x0,
Hannah 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Please comment and include your blog so I can visit.