Thursday, September 19, 2013

Fueling on long runs... what do you do?

For my first marathon, I kind of missed the boat on fueling. I bought a gel one time and was too grossed out by the texture. I just couldn't even put it in my mouth. Flash forward to mile 10 of the marathon and I was regretting that decision.

This time around, I am really working on fueling properly. I read up on fueling choices and started testing my options early. Here is what I tried and here is what I thought!


1. Water Bottle: LOVE my new Nathan waist pack. This thing has saved my life in the heat and humidity! I don't know that I will race with it, but I love having it for training. For shorter distances, I like this option also.

 

2. Cliff Shot Bloks: These were a no-go. I did not like the texture or the taste. I tried the red ones and didn't even finish the pack. Not good.



3. Jelly Belly Sports Beans: I have used these for a while and like these. I am not sure that they provide the fuel I need for really long runs, but I like the texture and taste, plus they are small enough to just have a quick bite. I have tried a million flavors, but orange is my fav!

 

4. Honey Stinger Waffles: These are really yummy, in my opinion. I love the chocolate one and A likes the vanilla. They are too dry for me to enjoy while running, but I like the pre or post run. A, on the other hand, LOVES these and eats them while he runs. I know, it is weird, but he swears by it.



5. Honey Stinger Energy Chews: These are my favorite! I love these things! My favorite is the Pomegranate Passion flavor, but lime-aid one is yummy too. They make me a little thirsty, so I would recommend having water near when you take them. I do like the fact that they have a soft texture and are easy to chew and swallow while running, which is hard to find.

 

How do you fuel?
Do you carry water while you run?

x0x0
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Please comment and include your blog so I can visit.