Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Sweet Potato Biscuits

I've been playing with this recipe for a while now. It started as an early morning kitchen adventure one day when I woke up too early. Now, they are A's favorite biscuit, which is saying something (because I bake a lot of biscuits). I bake extra sweet potatoes just for this recipe - that way I am always ready!

 

Sweet Potato Biscuits
Makes: 6-7 biscuits
Adapted from: Martha Stewart Living

Ingredients
1  cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading and shaping
3/4 cups whole wheat flour     
2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1  cup mashed sweet potatoes      
1/3 cup buttermilk
 
Heat oven to 425*. In a large bowl, mix flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. With a pastry blender, forks, or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal, with some pea-sized lumps of butter. In another bowl, whisk together sweet potato puree and buttermilk; stir quickly into flour mixture until combined. Be careful not to over mix!
 
Spray a small round pan with olive oil spray. Dump dough out onto a floured surface and gently pat until 1-inch thickness. Cut into biscuits using a cookie cutter, biscuit cutter, or drinking glass (that is what I use!). Continue to gently cut out biscuits until all the dough is used.
 
Place biscuits into prepared pan - they will be a little snug. Bake for about 20-24 minutes, or until golden brown. Enjoy!
 
We like these with butter, jam, and honey - let me know how you enjoy them :)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Please comment and include your blog so I can visit.