Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Cooking my Pinterest Boards :)

My New Year's resolution was to try a new food or recipe each week... and as November finished up, I am still going strong! Yes, there was a week in which I counted pomegranate fro-yo as a new food, but the purpose was still there. I wanted to avoid the food ruts I tend to fall in and push myself to be creative in the kitchen.

As of late, I've been flipping through my recipe box each weekend and trying to pick things that I kept wanting to try - here are some of my successes!

1. Homemade Bagels!



Recipe: From Sophisticated Gourmet
Reflection: I made these for my friend Kathryn when I went to cheer her on at the Nashville Rock n' Roll. I was a little concerned about it, but they turned out awesome. Next time I would add some sugar though.. I like my bagels a little sweeter.






2. Broccoli Quiche with whole-wheat crust

Recipe: From Kath Eats (LOVE her blog)
Reflection: Love this - a semi-time consuming dinner, but the leftovers are great for breakfast the next day. And the whole wheat crust turned out prettier than I expected. Quiche is my ideal comfort food because it is cozy and yummy, but can still be made pretty healthy. I filled this one with mushrooms, bell pepper, broccoli and was able to skip the cheese.





3. Black Bean Burgers

Recipe: From Oh She Glows
Reflection: I love to make lentil and chickpea burgers, but this was my first time making black bean burgers. I've said it before and I will say it again - veggie burgers are SO easy to make. Why but the frozen ones? This recipe made 6 big burgers, so I put some in the freezer. I will let you know how they freeze! (Note, the recipe calls for a flax egg, but I used a real egg. This made the hold together a lot better).





In reality, I just wish I could be like the Pioneer Women and cook all the time. Maybe law school wasn't my calling? Let's hope that is just finals talking ;) This week I am trying a recipe for butternut squash soup and some sweet potato chocolate chip cookies. Yum.

Have any awesome recipe successes lately? Please send them my way!
 
x0x0,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Please comment and include your blog so I can visit.