Friday, November 8, 2013

Simple Tomato Sauce

Every time I make my own tomato sauce, I feel amazingly accomplished. It is like I become some Italian Julia Child in a matter of minutes. In reality, the process is simple and more child-like than Child-like.



I've been playing with the recipe for a while now and have no plans to buy tomato sauce again. The recipe makes several cups, so I keep some in the freezer for future dinners. Enjoy!

Simple Tomato Sauce
Yields 4-5 cups.

1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped (or more if you like!)
1/2 c. celery, chopped
1/2 c. carrot, chopped
1 (28 ounce) can of crushed tomatoes**
1 (16 ounce) can of diced tomatoes**
1/2 tsp. dried oregano and dried basil.
1/2 - 1 tsp. sugar
2 Tb. unsalted butter

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, and vegetables. Saute about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Season with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes and seasoning. Let the sauce simmer, uncovered, on low heat for about 1 hour (until thick). Check seasoning and add the sugar and butter, a little bit at a time (this gets rid of the acidic taste).

Using an immersion blender, blend slightly (make the sauce as smooth as you like). If you don't have an immersion blender, process 1/2 of the sauce in a blender or food processor.


Looking for something to enjoy this sauce on? I recommend spaghetti squash or whole wheat noodles.
 
** I recommend using "no salt added" canned tomatoes. Why? Because it allows YOU to control the sodium and flavor in your food. Check the labels!

x0x0,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Please comment and include your blog so I can visit.