Friday, February 7, 2014

5 on Friday: Valentine's Day Activities

Valentine's Day is just around the corner and I've got ideas on how to celebrate! Whether you are in a new relationship, single, hanging with ladies for the night, or married with children, Valentine's Day can be fun

Now, before you tell me "Valentine's day is a Hallmark created holiday..." blah blah blah. Who cares? I, for one, don't need a reason to celebrate. I love a reason to plan an activity, make a special day/evening, and wear pink and red together. Valentine's Day is the perfect opportunity. 

I'm linking up with the ladies of 5 on Friday to share some ideas. Read all of my suggestions and guess below which one I am doing!

1. Plan a brunch
For your honey, make it romantic, serve it in bed, and find a cute pair of holiday pj's. 
For your girlfriends, make it an event! Everyone can bring something, or you can cook together. I've shared some menu items to get you thinking.
Valentine's Day brunch
source

Easy menu items: 
- Heart shaped cinnamon rolls: Buy canned and shape into hearts before baking. Add food coloring to the frosting. 
- Strawberry yogurt, granola, and berry parfait: Buy all the ingredients, just assemble.  
Breakfast in bed...

Labor-intensive menu items
- Heart shaped biscuits served with raspberry or strawberry jam.
- Heart shaped french toast, topped with a pink powder-sugar glaze, cherry pie filling, or strawberries. 

2. Take a cooking class. 
You can find ones geared towards individuals, couples, or a group of ladies. I know in Houston and Atlanta there are several places that offer classes on evenings and weekends. Check cooking supplies stores and specialty grocery stores for some options. 
This is a great way to have dinner and an evening activity. Rekindle the romance a few weeks later by recreating the menu at home. 
a man cooking = hot. Cary Grant cooking = even hotter.

3. Try a new workout together. 
Pilates, kick boxing, body pump. Yoga class can be the sexiest thing ever. Try a new workout class with your man or friend(s). Get the blood flowing, learn a new activity, and feel energized. If you do this on Saturday morning, follow it with brunch. 

My friend Caroline is taking her man to Pure Barre, where her studio is having a date night special. Cannot wait to hear how that goes ;) 

4. Have a chick-flick/marathon. You know who this is geared towards, ladies
I recommend a Bachelor marathon (not this season. I'm not feeling the whole Juan Pablo season...), Dirty Dancing, You've Got Mail, Drop Dead Gorgeous, or Wicker Park


5. Take a day trip. 
It doesn't have to be expensive or amazingly well planning. Drive somewhere within an hour or two, grab lunch, window shop, tour some historic places. This is always a favorite of mine. Sometimes switching things up for the day can be as exciting and rejuvenating as a vacation. 
If you are stumped on a place to go, check out your library. I own several travel books and each has a chapter on good day trips. If you live in a big city, exploring a new neighborhood is also a fun option. 
oh my yes, so true.


What are you doing for Valentine's Day? Who are you celebrating with? 
Can you guess what AR & I are doing?

x0x0, 
Hannah

3 comments:

  1. These are great ideas!! I particularly love a big brunch!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the chick flick marathon...that is my kinda date night!! Great ideas!

    Stopping by from the link-up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all of the Valentine's inspiration here!! Such fun :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers! Please comment and include your blog so I can visit.