Monday, February 24, 2014

Taco Tuesday 101

I love a good taco.... I lived in San Antonio for 2 years, it is basically in my blood! I make tacos with anything, and love to include them in my meal plan.



I use the term "taco" very openly. I use all sorts of fillings and serve it on lettuce, rice, tortillas - anything. Here are some ideas for planning your own Taco Night:

1. Start with the base:
- Go traditional and serve it in a tortilla.
I recommend looking for whole wheat tortillas with only a few ingredients. If you live in TX, go to HEB. Their tortillas are amazing and so fresh. You can even make your own using this recipe. I have tried it a few times with great success, though rolling them thin enough is a major pain.

- Brown rice is an excellent base, making a taco bowl. I cook my rice on Sunday to have it ready for the week.

- Go light with shredded lettuce or serve your taco on whole leaves like a lettuce wrap.

2. Make a filling: 
- Chicken is my favorite filling.
I use boneless skinless chicken breasts and a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes. I place these in the crock pot with a little broth and some chili powder on low. When I come home, I remove the chicken, shred it, and return it to the tomatoes.

- Black or pinto beans.
You can cook these from dry or used can. I like to cook mine with green chilies, chili powder, sliced bell peppers, and even salsa. This makes a great meatless option which is great for the wallet and waistline.

- Ground turkey or beef.
I brown my ground turkey, add diced tomatoes, chili powder, garlic, onion, and raw kale or spinach for a really flavorful filling. This recipe has a black bean, turkey, and kale filling that is yummy.
Kale, Turkey and Black Bean Taco Filling -Plus 5 Ways to Use It!

3. Add Veggies:
- Saute onion and bell peppers.
- Roast mushrooms with garlic.
- Cook spinach, kale, or other leafy greens.
- Shredded lettuce 
- Cooked corn 
- Chopped tomatoes 

This one had shredded chicken, black beans, brown rice, salsa, bell peppers,
shredded cheese, tomatoes, and avocado.
Yum!
4. Add some flavorful toppings!
- Diced avocado
- Black olives
- Salsa
- Shredded cheese
- low-fat sour cream

Do you make some form of a taco during the week? What is your favorite filling?

Hannah 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Please comment and include your blog so I can visit.