Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Peach Cobbler & Memorial Day

What an excellent Memorial Day weekend! I hope everyone spent time with loved ones and enjoyed the holiday while remembering those who serve. AR has 8 years of military service, both of my grandpas served, and several of my uncles. I have much to be thankful for :)

I am dropping in before work to share an amazing peach cobbler recipe with you. I made this for a BBQ on Sunday evening and it was such a hit. Every single bite was eaten!


If you are a cobbler-virgin, let me explain: Cobbler is a warm syrupy fruit dish (like pie filling almost, but not as sweet), with a cake-like topping. De-lish! 

This was the first weekend that peaches were available at the farmer's market. I was slightly concerned that they wouldn't be sweet enough, but they were perfect. My recommendation for a perfect cobbler? Let the peaches get very ripe. Leave them on the counter for a day and let them get nice and soft. 



You can certainly leave the peal on the peaches for this dish. The fuzziness goes away, but the skins don't look very pretty. I really like the flavor the skins add, but when I make them for other people, I take the skins off for appearance sake.

Peach Cobbler
Adapted from Southern Living Magazine
Serves 10

Ingredients
1/2 c. salted butter
1 c. all purpose flour
1.5 c. sugar, divided - to taste
1 T.baking powder
1 c. milk
4 c. fresh peaches, chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 T. lemon juice
1/2 t. cinnamon - to taste
Whipped cream and vanilla ice cream

Directions
Place butter in baking dish (either 13 x. 9 inch pan, or 7 individual 1.5 c. ramekins). Place dish(es) into 375* oven until butter is melted.

Mix flour, 3/4 c. sugar, and baking powder. Slowly stir in milk until just moistened. Pour evenly over melted butter, but do not stir. (I use a measuring scoop to help me to this evenly!).

Bring remaining 3/4 c. sugar, peaches, and lemon juice to a boil, stirring. Pour peaches evenly over batter, do not stir. Sprinkle with cinnamon as desired.

Places dishes onto a baking sheet (in case of spills) and bake at 375* for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately, or let cool. When ready to serve, place in a 350* oven until heated. Serve with ice cream and whipped cream.

Enjoy!

Sugar: I put "to taste" because this depends on your peaches and your personal tastes. My peaches were sweet, so I only used about 1 cup of sugar total this weekend. Other times I have used more. Taste your peaches, remember that they get sweeter as they bake, and adjust accordingly! 

x0x0, 
Hannah 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Please comment and include your blog so I can visit.