This Sunday was no exception. We made a favorite recipe: Lasagna Roll Ups. AR made the spinach and turkey filling. I cooked the noodles (breaking half of them) and a cheese filling. We assembled them together.
After 30 minutes in the oven, our lasagna rolls came out all bubbly and cheesy. We enjoyed them with steamed broccoli and a night of Scrabble.
Turkey Lasagna Roll Ups
Makes 16 rolls
1 box of lasagna noodles (I use whole wheat)
1 small onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 lb. of ground turkey (could use beef)
1 box of frozen spinach
2 cups of tomato sauce (Love to make my own)
12 oz. of ricotta cheese
1 cup of mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 t. dried oregano
1. Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan. Add onion and garlic; cook until soft. Add ground turkey and brown. Meanwhile, microwave spinach and drain excess water. Once the turkey is brown, add spinach and one cup of sauce.
2. Boil water and cook noodles as directed. Lay noodles out flat to cool slightly.
3. Mix ricotta, 1 egg, 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, oregano, and salt & pepper to taste.
4. Pour 1/2 cup of sauce into bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan. Heat oven to 357*. To fill: Place noodle on a cutting board. Spread a heaping tablespoon of cheese filling across noodle. Top with a heaping tablespoon of meat sauce. Roll noodle up and place seam side down in prepared pan.
5. Continue filling and pack noodles tightly into pan. Pour remaining sauce over rolls and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.