Sunday, December 8, 2013

Cranberry Sauce (smells like the holidays!)

Yesterday I went shopping for some holiday candles. After smelling approximately 28, I couldn't smell a thing. So I went home and made cranberry sauce. I imagine my house smells like the holidays, but in fact, I am still not smelling anything.
 
I've been craving cranberry sauce since thanksgiving. I love putting it on roasted turkey, greek yogurt topped with granola, and oatmeal. This morning, I am slathering it on sweet potato biscuits (I die. yum).

It adds the perfect holiday flavor! My recipe is pretty simple and makes a tart sauce. If you like yours sweeter, double the sugar :) It is also yummy with orange zest as a tangy change!

 

Cranberry Sauce
1 bag of cranberries (12 oz)*
1/2 c. brown sugar **
1 1/3 c. water
cinnamon to taste

Wash the cranberries and pick out any that are too soft. Place the water, berries, sugar, and cinnamon in a medium pan and bring to a boil (about 7 minutes). Once boiling, reduce the heat and let the berries low boil for about 20 minutes.

The sauce will get thick as the berries burst. Note that the sauce will thicken but not reach the same consistency of canned cranberry sauce! After 20-25 minutes, remove from heat and let cool. Store in the refrigerator. Make about 1 1/2 cups.

*Some bags of cranberries are 16 oz. Just increase the water to 1 1/2 cups and add a bit more sugar!
** You could use agave or honey as well. I might not recommend a sugar substitute, as it may change the consistency!

Enjoy!
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Please comment and include your blog so I can visit.